Old-age pensions

This page provides information on the conditions of eligibility for an OASI pension and on the possibility of bringing forward or deferring payment of an old-age pension.

In Switzerland the term "reference age" corresponds to "retirement age".

When do you reach the reference age?

The reference age for men is 65 years.

Following the AVS21 reform accepted by the Swiss people, the reference age for women will gradually increase from 64 to 65, as follows:

Women’s year of birth

Reference age
(retirement age)

Up to 1960

64 years


64 years + 3 months


64 years + 6 months


64 years + 9 months

From 1964

65 years

You are eligible for an old-age pension if:

  • you paid OASI/DI contributions for at least twelve months, or
  • you were insured for at least one year and during this period your spouse, who was gainfully employed, paid at least double the minimum contribution, or
  • parental or care credits may be awarded to you

Your entitlement to an old-age pension starts the month after you reach the reference age and ends in the month of your death.

Early retirement

You may bring forward your old-age pension by 1 or 2 years.

For men and women born until 1960, the reduction rate applied is 6.8% per year of early retirement.

Women born between 1961 and 1969 who take their OASI pension early benefit from more favourable reduction rates applicable from 1st January 2025.

The transition from working life to retirement is possible in a progressive manner. From 1st January 2024, you can ask to receive between 20 and 80% of your benefit and take early retirement to the month.

If you opt for early retirement, your benefits will be reduced for the full duration of your retirement.

No child pension is paid during the period of early retirement.

You must submit your application no later than the end of the month in which you reach the age of eligibility for early retirement.


You may defer payment of your pension for 1 to 5 years maximum. You will then receive an increased monthly pension for the duration of retirement.

If you wish to defer your old-age pension, you should submit your application within 1 year of the reference age.

From 1st January 2024, you can request a total or partial deferment of your pension. The share of partial deferment can be expressed as a percentage (minimum 20% and maximum 80%) or as a sum in francs. You may, on request, go back on your decision on a monthly basis and ask for the partial or entire payment of your pension. A rate change may be requested once only, up to 5 years after the reference age, provided it has not already been changed during the period of early retirement.

It is not necessary to set the duration of the deferment in advance. Entitlement begins at the earliest one year after reaching the reference age and ends at the latest when you reach the age of 70.

When you defer payment of your old-age pension, you also defer payment of any children’s pensions.

Continuing gainful employment after the age of 65

Persons who are gainfully employed in Switzerland and are of retirement age are still required to pay contributions either on their entire salary or with a deductible of 1’400.- Swiss francs per month.

In return, they may, under certain conditions, benefit from the following advantages:

  • Consideration of OASI contributions paid after the age of 65;
  • Filling in contribution gaps;
  • Improvement of the annual qualifying income;
  • Improvement of the old-age pension (up to the maximum pension).

If you continue to pay contributions after reaching the reference age, you may request a recalculation of your pension, but only on request and only once.

Entitlement begins at the earliest in the month following the month in which the recalculation is requested.

Requesting a recalculation does not automatically imply a revocation of the deferment.

Last modification 29.06.2023

Top of page